About Me

Monday, August 23, 2010

Legacy

What kind of legacy do you want to leave? I was asked this question in a bible study class about a year ago. At the time I couldn’t decide what exactly I wanted my legacy to be when I leave this world. How do I want my kids to remember me? "Who do I want them to become?" and "Who do I want them to serve?" were some of the questions asked. Some of them seem obvious but it has taken me awhile to figure out how I want them to remember me.

Some of my fondest memories of my parents came to mind. I remember my dad coming home from shift work and making me breakfast every morning. That was his time to connect with me and see what I had been up to in my life. He also would walk me outside and wait for the bus to pick me up. At the time I thought it was so embarrassing that my dad waited for me to get picked up and had to wave as the bus drove around the other side of the street. Now I know he did it because he loved me and I have forever etched a sweet memory in my mind of my loving father.

My mom loved to run so I thought of running every evening with my mom at San Jacinto College. I was about four and would run the first mile with her and then play on the bleachers or in the long jump sandpit. I also remember riding my Strawberry Shortcake bike around the neighborhood with her on nights when it was too late for the track. These things were part of our daily routine for years.

There are hundreds of things that stick out about my parents but those two always come back to me the most. This makes me realize that I have to be intentional during the time I spend with my children and not only focus on today but tomorrow as well.

These are things I think about while training for the marathon. Everyday after nap time the kids and I go running. No, it’s not the ideal situation because it so hot and their stroller is heavy. However, I enjoy listening to Cameron sing songs he has learned in Sunday School, and Caroline hums along too of course! Sometimes we share things we are thankful for and other times we have quiet time so we can pray to God. Many times during my long runs I can hear all the conversations the kids and I have had during our daily runs and it keeps me going that extra mile.

I want my kids to enjoy being active. I want them to know that there is more to life then T.V. or Playstation. I’m not saying those things are bad but it is much easier to hold a conversation while we are playing around outside then when they are zoned in on a T.V. show.

I’ve been told that in order to leave a legacy, you must first live it. I hope my kids see me as someone who loves the Lord with all her heart and trusts Him with everything I do. I hope they know I am determined and I want them to enjoy being active. I not only hope they see me this way but also want to take pieces of these events and share them with their children too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I just stumbled upon your blog from facebook, after searching for faith and fitness blogs. I love this entry, as I often ponder this question. And this line "I’ve been told that in order to leave a legacy, you must first live it." is so important. I keep reminding myself of this, as my daughter ventures away (she is 20 and at college), hoping I lived what I want to leave behind.

    Part of what I want to leave, is my growing dedication to my faith and fitness. I recently created a facebook page called Strength for the Journey; Forging Faith and Fitness, where I hope to create a community where members encourage one another to build strong and healthy bodies for Christ. If this is something you're interested in being a part of, check it out. We're VERY small still, but I have God-sized hopes for growth! If not, no worries - I have enjoyed reading your writing. It looks like you're creating an honorable legacy for your children..and theirs!

    Melinda

    Here's the FB page link:

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strength-for-the-Journey-Forging-Faith-and-Fitness/154311501272615?v=wall

    ReplyDelete

Get gorgeous ABS with these easy moves!